Mathematical Modeling in the Educational Field: a Systematic Literature Review
Rodríguez Gallegos, Ruth
Acebo Gutiérrez, Claudia Jaqueline
MetadataShow full item record
For more than forty years, mathematical modeling has assumed great importance in the educational field. The growing interest in modeling is related to students' need to understand and use mathematics in daily life and the ineffectiveness of traditional mathematics teaching to achieve success. This strategy of focusing on real-world problems and bringing them to the world of mathematics so they can be solved has evolved from the increased interest in modeling. Based on several studies, researchers say that the method of teaching mathematics to students promotes and maintains the motivation for their learning and the study of professional careers related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The purpose of this paper is to present the results of a literature review on mathematical modeling in the educational field. Information was obtained about authors with the greatest number of publications on the subject, the most cited articles, the journals with the greatest number of publications, and the types of participants in the studies analyzed. Classifications of the research articles reviewed were done in accordance with the theoretical perspectives of mathematical modeling and with their purpose in mathematics education. A total of 70 articles were analyzed from which it was found that 50% of the studies start with a theoretical educational theoretical perspective; the use of modeling as a vehicle to teach Mathematics was found in 96% of the studies; the other 4% consider modeling as a purpose.
- Artículos de Conferencia 
The following license files are associated with this item: